Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Target Audience

One of the most important elements of film making is knowing what your target audience is.

When I started making this film opening, I made it so that it appealed to viewers of about my age. I wanted to make it exciting and fast paced. I even added the job part to make it seem relatable and I hope I succeeded.

The general target audience for these films include people that are 18+ years old, because some of the content in these films, like serial killings and psychological disorders, is very graphic for young children. This also appeals more to females than males because of the lack of physical violence- fighting scenes, battles, etc- that is portrayed in action films.

I also found out that thrillers often bring out emotional and mental conflicts, which often attracts less males.

Most films' target audiences vary from film to film. Films like the Scream series (1996 dir. by Wes Craven) may be more appealing and interesting for people between the ages 18-25 because the protagonists are young and go to high school and college which makes it easy for the audience to relate to them. Films that are more intellectually demanding have an audience range from 35-45 years such as Memento (2000 dir. by Christopher Nolan).

Out of all the different types of thriller I researched, psych thrillers proved to be the most intellectually demanding ones because of the complex disorders and mental workings of the protagonists. The mature themes and twists may be hard for a younger audience to understand.

Although my film is a psych thriller, it is more suited towards a younger audience of 18-22 years old because I made it so that it attracts people my age.

Hopefully, it'll be received by viewers the way I want it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

Here's my CCR!