Sunday, March 12, 2017

Sounds of my Film

Hey there! Welcome back to my blog!

So, I've been thinking a lot about a script and a plot line for my film opening and I have a somewhat good idea of how I want to execute it. I'll address this topic in my next blog and I might even post a storyboard of it. For this blog, I want to discuss the sound and the audio elements of my project.
I realize that it might a little too soon to get audio but now that I know what I want to do for the film, it's easier for me to get the music.

Having watched my fair share of horror films, thrillers, psychological movies, slasher flicks, etc. I have noticed that the music is very similar. The music is very dark and eery, and often times crescendos indicate a climax or foreshadow major events relating to the plot. The music normally starts off very mild and casual and gradually builds up. This is the type of music I'm looking to add to my video. I found an article that has examples of soundtracks from horrors films which I thought was a good way to sort of get to know the music type.

While searching the wide world of the internet, I came across something known at the YouTube Audio Library. I had read about it in a blog sample that my teacher showed us (I cannot cite it here because I wasn't able to find that blogpost) in class and I came across it again. The Audio Library is essentially a place where you can find copyright free music and music that the artists and producers have agreed to be reused commercially or for projects.*

When I found that website, I immediately started looking for dark music that suits my theme and I found a soundtrack that I really like. I don't think it's the typical music that producers in thrillers film go with, but I think this track would be a good way to start the film because it seems a little mysterious. It is called Ectoplasm by Audionautix. I'm not able to attach it to this blog, but I'll figure out a way to do it in one of my next blogs.

I feel like I've made just a little progress with the project and it feels so rewarding!

*Some require attribution so the credit for the music goes to the original creator.

Citations:
Campbell, Jack. "Music Used in Crime Thrillers". SlideShare. LinkedIn Corporation. 19 Apr. 2015. https://www.slideshare.net/s0016845/music-used-in-crime-thrillers. Accessed 11 Mar. 2017.
Otts, Kristin B. "Horror and Thriller: Walking the Fine Line between the Two Genres". Ya Highway. Ya Highway. 27 Sept. 2012. http://www.yahighway.com/2012/09/horror-and-thriller-walking-fine-line.html. Accessed 11 Mar. 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

Here's my CCR!